Friday, April 3, 2009

You can take the girl outta the shower, but you can't take the horror out of being wet and naked

I think I'm letting my work get the better of me.

It's not secret I'm working on my horror film portion of the zine-book-abomination (*note to self: try a little harder to be a little more concise in describe what the hell this thing is), and it's equally true that I've been plowing through ridiculous numbers of horror (primarily slasher) films on a daily basis.  -How do I pull it off? (*)- There have been several studies to dis/prove the statement that abundant viewings of these video nasties can turn your Regular Josephina crazy, and I think I'm ready to put my two cents in here: MY BRAIN HAS FUCKING MELTED.  My personality... has always been a little on the quirky side, so any abnormalities I may have picked up from these movies are a lost cause in a sea of preexisting abnormalities.  I'm not a good lab rat for this experiment, I'm afraid.

What I can say, however, is that I've had an unusual number of nightmares lately.  In all my years, I can recall two prominent nightmares that truly chilled me, but my subconscious lately has been rather mean spirited.  NO, I'm not implying that horror films turn civilian folk in rapists, murderers, politicians, whatever.  I am saying, however, that my head is killing me and I've been perpetually foaming at the mouth for weeks now.

Maybe it isn't the violence, the rape scenes, or worse yet, the God-awful remakes I've been subjecting myself to.  It took a few tries before I could get through The Last House on the Left (the original, my dears, because it's way scarier) or Deliverance on my Sunday morning montage of rape scenes.  But I've found, as with sex work (once a close friend because a stripper, etc) my views have flip-flopped worse than a fish out of water.  I'm happy with some of the epiphanies I've had in the midst of blood baths and stalker shots, don't get me wrong.  And some of the people I've begun interviewing have been invaluable in their enthusiasm and support.  There may be little point in even bringing this up, but everyone ought to stop what they're doing and stop by http://www.pretty-scary.net .  


No comments: